Hello There, Guest!

Why MyBB?
Why MyBB?
02-13-2012, 07:37 AM Post: #1
So why is MyBB, statistically, the best free forum software? And why is MyBB, in my opinion, the best forum software, period?

There are many reasons why it blows all others out of the water. I'll outline them all below.
  • It's free!
  • Active support community
  • Countless third party community forums (like this one)
  • Vast theme and plugin database
  • Extremely easy to theme/design
  • Easy to learn making plugins
  • Extremely secure
  • Powerful, yet simple ACP
  • Looks good and lightweight by default (compared to the bulky IPB)
  • Actively developed
  • Did I mention it is free?

Why would you not choose MyBB? Once you choose to purchase forum softwares like ipb or vBulletin you are trapped in a monopoly and can only pay more for their add-ons. And if you want to edit these expensive add-ons, it takes a hell of a lot of work.

The only comparable software is XenForo, but MyBB beats it because it is older and free.

So...remind me why you're not running MyBB?
RE: Why MyBB?
02-14-2012, 05:26 AM Post: #2
Same can be said for PhpBB. We had used MyBB for quite some time for Forum Hotel but it was too simple and some of the designers gave me rubbish so I couldn't be stuffed with it any longer.

It's also very simple. PhpBB adds more fun as you have to code everything manually whereis with MyBB just drop some files to Filezilla and you're done.
02-14-2012, 06:30 AM Post: #3
I previously used Phpbb3 as well before switching my first forum (http://halochiefs.net) to MyBB. I mean, I liked it a lot but that was because it was all I knew. Looking back...it was pretty buggy and in my opinion the "feel" it gives off is very stale whereas MyBB gives a nicer effect.

But I respect your opinions.
02-14-2012, 07:27 AM Post: #4
(02-14-2012 05:26 AM)cheshire cat Wrote:  Same can be said for PhpBB. We had used MyBB for quite some time for Forum Hotel but it was too simple and some of the designers gave me rubbish so I couldn't be stuffed with it any longer.

It's also very simple. PhpBB adds more fun as you have to code everything manually whereis with MyBB just drop some files to Filezilla and you're done.

I had to chuckle at the "it was too simple" portion. Personally I can't tell a huge difference between MyBB and PhPBB, I know both are very well developed and both look aesthetically pleasing to the eye. I do remember experiencing a bit of both and found myself a bit overwhelmed with MyBB at first. I think it was because MyBB was so simple that I was over thinking it. PhPBB is fun when you know what you're doing with coding whereas MyBB is for a bit of both yet more geared toward the beginner's side. Which is good for someone like me who is still learning with forum software.
02-17-2012, 03:27 PM Post: #5
IPB is far from "bulky" in terms of it not being 'lightweight" it's extremely fast and speedy from my personal experience. I've had better success with IPB then any other software, including the very bulky and bloated, vBulletin. Smile MyBB is great for what it is, FREE, powerful and SECURE forum software, but to say it's better then commercial software like IPB where you are getting top-notch, grade A support, is a bit drastic. Smile
02-18-2012, 06:14 AM Post: #6
IPB is bulky not in terms of speed, but in terms of design.
02-18-2012, 06:45 AM Post: #7
if by bulky you mean somewhat 'boxy' I can see your point. However, I think vBulletin takes the cake with being the most bulky software to date in terms of both design and speed.
02-18-2012, 06:45 AM Post: #8
IPB was actually a pretty good software back in the day (1.3-early 2.0 series). It had it's problems like everything else but it was really streamlined and slim compared to the recent releases. IPB seems to be heading down the same path as vBulletin did...placing emphasis on unnecessary features which bend the whole concept of a "Forum" software.
That's one of the reasons I enjoy MyBB so much. The developers are sticking to a forum rather than morphing it into a cms/bloatware.
02-18-2012, 06:53 AM Post: #9
(02-18-2012 06:45 AM)x-Treme Wrote:  IPB was actually a pretty good software back in the day (1.3-early 2.0 series). It had it's problems like everything else but it was really streamlined and slim compared to the recent releases. IPB seems to be heading down the same path as vBulletin did...placing emphasis on unnecessary features which bend the whole concept of a "Forum" software.
That's one of the reasons I enjoy MyBB so much. The developers are sticking to a forum rather than morphing it into a cms/bloatware.

I can see your point. However, that's why the 'bloatware' are add-ons with IPB. You can buy just the board and be done with it for your forums. The rest are additional purchases. I just happen to have the entire suite except for the Nexus store and Downloads since I just don't have a need for them. I do miss the IPB 1.3 days though.
02-22-2012, 07:02 AM Post: #10
I agree, I would not choose anything paid because it costs so much, free software like mybb is perfect. And it's easier to use than phpbb as well which is great. Biggrin
« Next Oldest - Next Newest »